[Gdal-dev] compiling gdal with hdf4 on solaris7

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 10:16:11 EDT 2005

On 4/20/05, Kingsley Burlinson <kgb at synix.com.au> wrote:
> Hi List
> I have a problem compiling Gdal 1.2.6 with HDF4.2r1 support on
> Solaris-7-sparc,
>  and wonder if someone can assist me please. I hope to use this in Grass 6.
> The libraries are present  :    ls -l /usr/local/hdf4/lib  shows:
>  >  1100960 Feb 19 01:32 libdf.a
>  >   227036 Feb 19 01:32 libmfhdf.a
>
> But config.log has a section:
>  > Undefined    first referenced
>  >  symbol          in file
>  > xdr_enum    /usr/local/hdf4/lib/libmfhdf.a(var.o)  (symbol belongs to
> implicit dependency /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1)

Kingsley,

The missing functions come from a support library, perhaps -lxdr
or -lrpc would fix things up?

But the configure script is setup to expect shared libraries which
are already linked against their own dependencies.

So, one approach would be for you to try and prepare shared libraries
for the HDF stuff.  On unix I might try something like:

cd /usr/local/hdf4/lib
ld -shared -all libmfhdf.a -lrpc -lm -o libmfhdf.so

You will need to do some man-handling one way or the other.
The easiest approach might be to configure without HDF support,
and then add the required libraries to the LIBS macro in
GDALmake.opt as well as setting the HDF4_INCLUDE variable
and adding hdf4 to the GDAL_FORMATS list.