[Gdal-dev] RE: GDAL netcdf convention CF support

Norman Barker nbarker at rsinc.com
Thu Aug 18 05:07:57 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-galeon at unidata.ucar.edu [mailto:owner-galeon at unidata.ucar.edu]On Behalf Of Denis Nadeau
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:26 PM
To: gdal-dev at lists.maptools.org; galeon at unidata.ucar.edu
Subject: GDAL netcdf convention CF support

GDAL now supports netcdf format using CF convention as specified by unidata.

   http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/conventions.hdf

The software looks if the variables lat/latitude and lon/longitude are presents in the netcdf file.  If found, these variables are used to specify the georeferencing transformation.

I'd like the community to try it out and if there are some problems, let me know. GDAL netcdf format also works on Windows with he precompile library version 3.6.1-beta1 (January 2005).

Regards,
Denis Nadeau
[Norman Barker]

Hi,

this is a really exciting announcement.  I have run ncdump on my netcdf file and checked the variables, and gdalinfo picks up the lat, lon, and ozone vars ok.  It puts the z-levels in bands within the data file which is ok since that was the way that we had done it with geotiff.  It has lost the information attaching the band level to an atmospheric height.  Even if this was a comma separated index string it would be useful.    It has also lost the Time dimension stamp within the file.  Again is this could just be a metadata tag that would be great.

I would like to help wrap this into MapServer WCS if possible, if I am missing something with my comments above please let me know.  This is great though, is has caused great excitement in our office!

Norman