[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL netcdf convention CF support

Denis Nadeau denis.nadeau at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:57:23 EDT 2005

2005/8/18, Dominic Lowe <d.lowe at rl.ac.uk>:

> Hi Denis,
>
> I'd also done a "bit" of work on this, but I'll happily abandon my
> efforts if your driver is now in the distribution.

I did not know somebody else worked on this. Sorry to hear that we
duplicated the work.

I had a look at your code (haven't compiled it yet) but one thing I had
> in my driver that you might like to consider adding is a check to see if
> the file is CF compliant (or rather, a check to see if it has the CF
> "Conventions" attribute).
>
> Also, if I remember rightly (it's been a few months since I wrote it)
> this check should stop your netCDF driver picking up "GMT" grid files,
> which should be left to the GMT driver to deal with.

I can add some of your code, but some people still uses COARDS convention
which is compatible with CF-etc.

I notice that GMT checks for variable name "dimension" and "z". GMT driver
should then reject netcdf CF or COARDS Convention except if these variables
exists. This test seems to be good enough for the moment.

At this point, I would like the netcdf driver to try to read the data even
if it is not CF or COARDS.

Regards,
Denis