[Gdal-dev] Re: [GRASSLIST:8037] Order of ops for GRASS with GDAL support install?

BABA Yoshihiko baba.yoshihiko at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 07:50:34 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm the maintainer of the both packages for MacOSX/Fink.

2005/8/25, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it>:

> > I am doping this procedure:
> >
> > HOWTO compile GDAL/GRASS/GRASS-plugin:
> >   1. compile GDAL without GRASS support (see ./conf_gdal.sh [1] )
> >   2. compile GRASS itself (see ./conf_grass61_linux.sh [1] )
> >   3. configure/compile/install GDAL/GRASS plugin (see ./conf_install_gdal_grass_plugin.sh [1])
> >   4. link GRASS libs into /usr/local/lib/
> >   5. run 'ldconfig' (as root)
> >
> > [1] http://mpa.itc.it/markus/useful/
> >

> Sorry: revised procedure (I just tested it on a "fresh" machine):
>
> HOWTO compile OGR/GRASS/GRASS-plugin:
>   1. compile GDAL/OGR without GRASS support (see ./conf_gdal.sh )
>   2. compile GRASS itself (see ./conf_grass61_linux.sh )
>   3. link GRASS libs into /usr/local/lib/
>   4. run 'ldconfig' (as root)
>   5. run this script to configure/compile/install OGR/GRASS plugin
>      (may require root permissions)
>
> Frank, we are looking forward to the unification of the GRASS drivers :-)

Is it better to wait until this driver thing?

>From now is rather a MacOSX/Fink specific issue. Currently, ths issue
is cyclical dependency. To have different configure options of gdal,
Fink policy requires gdal to be separated packages, such as gdal (no
grass) and gdal-grass. I want a package most "newbie" users need to be
teh default. And all the packages that depend on gdal must add
gdal-grass as an alternative, which could be a nightmare (not all the
packages are maitained by myself).

A possible solution, which I have show in Fink ML before, is to have
gdal and gdal-grass families. A slight modification in my brain is to
have libgdal, libgdal-grass, gdal-dev (headers) and gdal-bin. GRASS
depends on gdal-dev at build time and on gdal | gdal-grass at
run-time.

There are several other possibilities. For example, libgdal-nograss
and libgdal-grass, both of which "Provides" gdal. "Provides" sounds a
good solution, but it cannot manage version specific dependency.

Another option is to build gdal with grass support even if grass is
not installed. First, get grass source from the web, then build gdal
with grass headers and other requirements. I don't know if it would
work.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thank you
--