[Gdal-dev] GDAL, Libtiff, Proj4 compiler warnings

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 26 12:17:05 EDT 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> > The "-Wno-unused-parameter" flag changes to "-Wno-unused" based on
> > which GCC version you're using.

> I have committed fixes for the item you listed (in libtiff, libgeotiff,
> proj and GDAL) but my attempts to reproduce the warning report
> with -Wstrict-prototypes failed.

Understand.  On Linux here I don't get the warnings either, but
another of our developers gets them on FreeBSD.  I'll have him do a
cvs update and get a report back from him.  I'll let you know what
he comes back with.  Thanks!

> I don't want -Wno-unused-parameter since it generates alot of junk
> warnings in functions that legimately don't need to use all their
> arguments.

Actually as I recall the combination of "-W and -Wall" triggers all
of those warnings, and "-Wno-unused-parameter" or "-Wno-unused" gets
rid of those.  We had to add a test to our acinclude.m4/configure.ac
in order to see which of those last two parameters the compiler
likes so that we get a clean build on either compiler.

> Likewise, I don't want warnings on pointer arthmetic since I do
> that frequently and legimately.

Understand.  Thanks for helping to clean things up a bit.  Our users
appreciate the professional look-and-feel of the compile without the
extra warnings.