[Gdal-dev] GDAL Postgis Raster Driver

Benjamin Simon noumayoss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 07:58:16 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I've been playing a bit with GDAL driver implementation and as I am
quite interested in database development, I 've decided to write a
Postgis wrapper for GDAL. I've used the Postgis CHIP datatype to store
rasters in PostgreSQL.

Basically, the driver can read files with a pixel definition of 8 or
16 bits. It can deal with 1 or 4 bands (GREY_SCALE, PALETTE and RGBA).
I've only tested to import PNG, BMP, JPEG and TIF files and I think
the driver is not stable yet with any other formats. The driver is
supposed to be capable of dealing with projections if Postgis was
built with the proj4 library.

I do think it could be good to move some of the functions from the
GDAL Driver source code to Postgis source. However, this would require
I contact Postgis development team and I prefer to finalize the driver
before, as it is really easier to test and develop.

I have contacted Frank so that this new experimental driver can soon
be part of the global GDAL source tree.

If you can't wait unil then or if you're interested in testing, you
can download the source code from this address:
http://simon.benjamin.free.fr/pgchip/ and follow the installation
instructions.

Any suggestions, comments, questions or help are welcome.

Regards,
Benjamin.