[Gdal-dev] Weird colors in gdal_translate

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 11:03:25 EDT 2005

On 8/30/05, Morten Nielsen <mn at blominfo.dk> wrote:

> I'm sorry if this is a double-post, but I think something went wrong in the
> first email…
>
> Anyway, I'm trying to extract tiles from a large image, but all I get is a
> weird-looking image consisting only of rgb levels at either 0 or 255. There
> is an example here: http://blominfo.dk/3d/gdalerror.png

> I'm using "FW Tools 0.9.9".

Morten,

I didn't see anything unusual about the image, other than that it is
quite large of course.  Are you using FWTools 0.9.9 on Linux or
Windows?  I don't completely trust the older version of the ECW
library I use on Linux and I am hoping to upgrade again when the
next ECW SDK release comes out.

Also, could you set the CPL_DEBUG environment variable to ON
and rerun the problem translation and capture all the debug output?
There should be message about the -srcwin that actually gets used
for your projwin, and then various debug messages about what
GDAL actually does internally. Perhaps some of this will be helpful
in diagnosing the problem.