[Gdal-dev] what does gdal-grass provide?

Jack Varga jvarga at boulder.net
Thu Feb 3 11:10:35 EST 2005

What exactly does gdal-grass provide?  How/where do I get the latest
version (assuming I need it)?

I'm experiencing odd behavior in qgis 0.6.0 when trying to load grass
vector data and I was told that's because I compiled gdal with
libgrass(51) and not with grass directly.  Its the old 'which came first
syndrome, the chicken (gdal) or the egg (grass).  That is, you need gdal
to build grass, but you need grass to build gdal, unless, (at least I
thought), you build gdal with libgrass.

FWIW, in case this helps anyone, (or someone knows better than I), the
symptom one will see in this scenario is qgis crashes with...

error_routine (fatal = 1): GISRC - variable not set

-jv