[Gdal-dev] OGR feature wish: addition/deletion of attributes and deletion of shapefile features

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 14:00:37 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 18:37:18 +0100, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at autoform.ch> wrote:
> Dear GDAL developers,
>
> Apologize if this mail is out of topic. I couldn't find a 'feature wish'
> button on the OGR webpage, so i thought this is the place for it.
> The QGIS project is an open source GIS which uses OGR to read vector
> files (e.g. shapefiles). Recently, the capabilities of QGIS have been
> extended to also edit data sources. So, it is now possible to add new
> features to layers by mouse click. Unfortunately, it seems that the
> shapefiledriver of OGR does not yet support deleting shapefile features.

Marco,

I would suggest you submit an enhancement request for
OGR to support DeleteFeature() on shapefiles.  I would like
to make shapefiles more editable.  But keep in mind that relatively
few OGR formats are ever going to support in-place update.

> Also, the OGR documentation says that it is not possible to add or
> remove layer attributes if there are already features in an OGRLayer.
> QGIS already has graphical user interfaces to do these things with
> PostGIS layers, but it would be really cool if we could do the same for
> OGR supported file formats.

Agreed.