[Gdal-dev] GDAL & OpenEV / MFC

Chapman, Martin MChapman at sanz.com
Sun Jan 16 13:11:42 EST 2005

Drawing speed is relative to hardware resources and other things you may have going on in your code while you draw.  So, there is no single answer to how much can GDI+ draw per second.  What you could say is that given the same environment and variables, GDI+ will out perform OpenGL for 2D rendering on Windows.  Also, note that humans can only process graphics refresh rates of about 30 times per second, so drawing to the screen more times than that is useless.  Where OpenGL really suffers though, is filling shapes.  It has to tessellate each complex polygon before it can fill it and the gluTessellation functions are very slow.

Martin