[Gdal-dev] ER SDK and JPEG 2000

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 15:19:23 EST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:14:50 -0700, Jack Varga <jvarga at boulder.net> wrote:
> Frank, et al;
>
> I know you've been waiting some time to implement an ECW interface, and
> now with the release of the ECW SDK source that reality is much closer,
> but I'm curious if you've given any thought to implementing support for
> ER's JPEG 2000 implementation as well.  While I know little about ER's
> JPEG 2000 implementation, I believe its provided in the SDK and should
> theoretically eliminate performance constraints associated with Jasper
> and licensing restrictions associated with KaKadu's libraries.

Jack,

It is supported by GDAL-CVS.  In fact, the ECW SDK can even
be used in reading and writing JPEG2000 compressed NITF files!

It is my hope that the ECW SDK would be the "default" JPEG2000
implementation for GDAL in the future.   There are currently some
issues with regard to handling some coordinate systems when going
through the ECW SDK but I intend to work on that.

PS. Use the driver name JP2ECW with GDAL-cvs to write jpeg2000
files using the ECW SDK.