[Gdal-dev] gdalwarp and satellites

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 11:52:40 EST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:27:52 -0800 (PST), gronnen <gronnen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have satellite images of eumetsat. This satellite
> is above the earth at longitude=0, and latitude=0.
> I know the height of the satellite and its
> fov. What projection and parameters I should
> use in gdalwarp ? is it possible ?

Gronnen,

Sorry, I'm not to sure how to work out image geo-location information from
satellite platform position and direction.  This can be an involved process.

However, if you can derived lat/long location information for a grid
of control points on the image, you can associate them with the image
as GCPs (perhaps using gdal_translate) and then use gdalwarp to warp
the image to some desired projection.  Note that you might want to use
Thin Plate Spline transformations if the image is a substantial chunk of
the earth and so suffers from curveture effects that wouldn't be handled
well by polynomials.