[Gdal-dev] GeoTiff PDS or ISIS test images

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 15:19:17 EDT 2005

On 6/8/05, Leonard J. Reder <reder at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for test images to validate that the computations for
> mapping coordinates within a software module are correct.  What I am
> after are image sets not of actual data but rather of a correctly
> generated sets of simple shapes on a lat,lon and elevation coordinate
> system.   For example I would like to find a GeoTiff that contains
> groups of 100 meter on edge cubes that are spaced and at verious heights
> spread over a planetary surface.  My interest is mainly in GeoTiff but
> if this sort of thing exists in ISIS or PDS format I probably can
> convert it.  If anyone knows of such data sets could they send me
> instructions on how to get a hold of them?

Leonard,

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "cubes" or "at various heights"
given the essentially 2D nature of TIFF images.  Are you wanting to verify
that you can relate positions on a projected raster back to lat/long properly?
If so, generating 2 band floating point images with one band being latitude
and one band being longitude, and then reprojecting those to some
projected coordinate system might be useful.

If you can't find a way of doing that yourself, I could prepare a small utility
to do it.  But in the end, the results are only as trustworthy as the GDAL
reprojection support.