[Gdal-dev] Fwd: [kakadu_jpeg2000] Re: Support for GeoJPEG2000 needed

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 09:58:37 EDT 2005

On 6/20/05, Julien Demaria <dem at acri-st.fr> wrote:
> >I have understood that OGC is preparing a GML based solution for
> >including spatial reference data in JPEG2000 files. Does anybody know
> >if this specification will be ready in the near future?

Folks,

The GML-in-JPEG2000 specification was up for approval at the
OGC TC meetings last week as an RFC.  If it passed I believe it
should be publically viewable within a few weeks.  In the meantime
I would be happy to provide samples of the files from our interoperability
experiment and information on the format.

As soon as possible I shall try to get details up at my geospatial
jpeg2000 page at:

   http://www.remotesensing.org/jpeg2000/

In general I am happy to answer questions about geospatial formats
for JPEG2000 and their use in GDAL.

Lastly, the geolocation models for the various geo-jpeg2000
products can be somewhat complicated, so it is not clear that
it would be appropriate to try and represent them in a normalized
way in Kakadu itself.   Doing so well, would almost certainly
involve a whole geotiff parser as well as GML parsing.

Lastly, I would like to thank Julien for his excellent and accurate
answers so far on this thread.