[Gdal-dev] Re: gdal with ECW JPEG 2000 SDK v3.1

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:03:12 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:49:49 -0700, Brent Fraser
<bfraser at geoanalytic.com> wrote:
> Frank,
>
>    I've been trying to get gdal_translate to compress a 700gb tiff image to
> ECW (on win2k).  This is greater than the 500gb limit imposed by the ECW SDK
> prior to v3.0.  According to the ECW SDK v3.1 doc:
>
> "If you wish to enable unlimited compression to the ECW or JPEG 2000 formats
> (as permitted by the Public and Commercial Use License Agreements), you must
> link your application with NCSEcwCu.lib instead of NCSEcwC.lib. "
>
> So I linked gdal_translate with NCSEcwCu.lib and ran it to get the
> following:
>
> C:\gdal\gdal-1.2.6\apps>gdal_translate -of ECW  321fuse.tif 321fuse.ecw
> Input file size is 17100, 15340
> 0.100 - done.
> ERROR 4: `321fuse.ecw' does not exist in the file system,
> and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.
>
> But it works fine on images less than 500mb.  I compiled the
> NCSSource_3.1rc1_18Feb05 version, but got the same result.
>
> Have you tested gdal with the unlimited-compression ECW library?  Any other
> things I need to do?

Brent,

There is a special call you need to make to disable the 500MB limit,
and I have not added that because I am not clear on the implications
for all GDAL use situations.  I'm afraid I am not even certain what the
call is.  You would need to hack it into the code yourself.  I think
there is already a bug open in the GDAL bugzilla on this issue.