[Gdal-dev] convert HDF ASTER to geotiff

vincent at ecovla.nl vincent at ecovla.nl
Mon May 2 10:10:05 EDT 2005

Jon Saints wrote:

> Ok, I have narrowed the problem.
>
> Yes, I agree that ASTER's come with ground control points, however,
> when using gdal_translate it seems that the utility doesnt apply the
> ground points correctly.
>
> My observation is this: In the raw aster image the corners (ul and
> lr) of the raw image data are not the "corners" of the data. Along
> both edges of the actual data there are no data values hold space as
> padding. The actual image data is a slanted trazezoid padded on both
> sides with no data values within the rectangle that is the raw aster
> image. gdal_translate can apply the GCP points to the raw image, but
> does so incorrectly. It applies the ul and lr values to the no data
> padding of the raw image, rather than applying the point to the
> actual corner where the actual data begins.
>
> I hope this makes some sense. I found it difficult to explain without
> drawing pictures.
>
> Is there any workaround for this?
>
> Thanks Jon

Jon,

Are you sure that for your ASTER images, the GCP's don't apply to the
nodata areas too? In the ASTER images that I have used so far, the
opposite is true. GCP's range from (0.5, 0.5) to the full pixel extent
of the ASTER image (that is: including the nodata areas) , i.e. the last
GCP maps pixel coordinate (2490.5,2100.5). This of course would never be
so if the nodata parts were not covered by the GCP's. Moreover, the
georeferencing that I've done using gdalwarp (note: NOT gdal_translate)
looks very accurate; I'm sure I would have noticed it all my ASTER
images were rotated and slanted.

You can check the values of the GCP's using gdalinfo on one of the
subdatasets of your ASTER HDF files.

just my 2c.

regards,
Vincent.