[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr and MapInfo

Fischer, Andreas andreas.fischer at kreis-unna.de
Thu Nov 10 04:40:48 EST 2005

Dear list,
I still did some experiences getting PostGIS-data to MapInfo MIF-files.
Everything works well whenn (!)  I drop the Bounds-Clause in the MIF-File
before importing it to MapInfo. Now I'd like to know if there is a
possibility to avoid ogr2ogr writing this clause at the end for the CoordSys
line. To get a MIF-file imported this clause is not nessesary and dropping
this clause increases the precision of my data. Now I have to drop this
clause manualy after creating the MIF-file and therefore I can't get the
conversion done automatically.

In the documentation to the different formats I found the following:

"We should fix the driver at some point to set valid default bounds for each
projection, but for the time being, the MapInfo driver sets the following
default bounds when a new layer is created: For a file in
- LAT/LON (geographic) coordinates: BOUNDS (-180, -90) (180, 90)
- For any other projection: BOUNDS (-30000000, -15000000) (30000000,
15000000) "

And that is what it does with my MIF-File. The line looks as follows:
"CoordSys Earth Projection 8, 104, "m", 9, 0, 1, 3500000, 0
Bounds(-30000000, -15000000) (30000000, 15000000)"

Does this mean that this functionality is fixed in the source code of the
programm? May this be changed by myself or has anyone another idea to
workaround this problem? Conversion would be perfect than!
Thank you for your help!

Regards
Andreas Fischer

Kreis Unna