[Gdal-dev] Gdal compilation problems in Solaris 8

Juan Mari Celihueta jmcm at euskalnet.net
Thu Nov 17 08:28:21 EST 2005

Hi, I have partially solved the compilation problems under Solaris 8,
but now I have found another one.

First, the problem that I had was related to the 'ld' command:

ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [libgdal.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home1/MAPSERVER/gdal-1.3.1'
make: *** [check-lib] Error 2

That was because 'make' used a wrong 'ld' although I had GNU ld in the
'PATH' variable (I guessed it seeing the ./configure process). I solved
it renaming the wrong 'ld'.

Second, the new compilation problem: During the compilation process,
after several minutes of hard process, I get the next error message:

(...)
.libs/libgdal.lax/libjasper.a/pgx_enc.o
.libs/libgdal.lax/libjasper.a/pnm_cod.o
.libs/libgdal.lax/libjasper.a/pnm_dec.o
.libs/libgdal.lax/libjasper.a/pnm_enc.o
.libs/libgdal.lax/libjasper.a/ras_cod.o
.libs/libgdal.lax/libjasper.a/ras_dec.o
.libs/libgdal.lax/libjasper.a/ras_enc.o
ranlib .libs/libgdal.a
rm -fr .libs/libgdal.lax
creating libgdal.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libgdal.la && ln -s ../libgdal.la libgdal.la)
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home1/MAPSERVER/SRC/gdal-1.3.1'
(cd swig; make build)
make[1]: Entering directory `/home1/MAPSERVER/SRC/gdal-1.3.1/swig'
for dir in ; do (cd $dir; make build ); done
/bin/sh: syntax error at line 1: `;' unexpected
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home1/MAPSERVER/SRC/gdal-1.3.1/swig'
make: *** [swig-target] Error 2

I use GNU Make 3.80 and GNU ld 2.11.2 under Solaris 8.

I would be glad if somone could tell me something.

Thanks.

Juan M.