[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate error with big file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 30 18:58:31 EST 2005

On 11/29/05, Aaron Racicot <aaronr at z-pulley.com> wrote:
> Not 100% sure, but I believe the max file size for a Tiff/GeoTiff is 4GB due
> to 32 bit offsets.  Your error would seem to confirm that.

Shoaib,

The problem is likely that the AAIGRID driver uses the small
file API to read ascii grid files.  I don't see any obvious reason
this couldn't be altered to use the large file API.  I'll try and
implement this tonight.  However, I'm not in a position where
I can produce a new FWTools release for windows for
several weeks so it likely won't help you.

As Aaron notes, there is also a 4GB limit on GeoTIFF size
which might become a problem even with the grid reading
working.