[Gdal-dev] Re: unit testing (Re: Re: GDAL 1.3.1 Alpha 2 Released)

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Mon Oct 3 08:48:34 EDT 2005

Charlie Savage wrote:

> So in my opinion, the autotest suite has been absolutely invaluable,
> because its a whole lot easier to port a bunch of tests than it is to
> develop them from scratch.

I think I agree with this. Although I believe some diversity is usually
good. It may also be quite difficult to maintain all the test codes so
that they are identical in this sense.

> I think it would be great if it could be ported to every language - as
> a sort of "official" stamp of approval for that language working with
> GDAL.  That would then make it possible to test changes to the SWIG
> interface files, press a button, and make sure you didn't break
> something in the Java bindings, or the CSharp bindings, or the Python
> bindings.

That's a very good reason. A recent change in shape2ogr.cpp comes to
mind..  ;) I think this is good overall.

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Kartografia ja Geoinformatiikka / Cartography and Geoinformatics