[Gdal-dev] Patch to get jpg driver to read world files with .tfw extension

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 20 10:57:09 EDT 2005

On 10/20/05, Eric Dönges <eric.doenges at gmx.net> wrote:
> It seems that some people use world files with a .tfw extension
> instead of
> the .jpgw and .wld extensions the jpeg driver looks for, so I've
> patched it to
> look for .tfw and .tifw as well. Which leaves me wondering - is this
> the correct thing
> to do ? Of all the other drivers that can read world files, only the
> (Geo)TIFF
> (obviously !) and PNG drivers search for .tfw and .tifw files. If the
> JPEG driver should
> look for .tfw and .tifw files, shouldn't all other drivers that can
> read world files
> do as well ?

Eric,

Will the madness never end?  I sometimes wonder how much
time and system resources GDAL spends probing around looking
for a variety of possible auxilary files: many combinations
of world file, including uppercase/lowercase tests on unix,
.ovr overview files, .aux auxilary files, .aux.xml auxilary files,
.prj files, etc.

I would prefer not to apply this patch for the time being as I
feel it encourages the proliferation of worldfile extensions and
adds to the risk of an improper world file being picked up.