[Gdal-dev] OGR SWIG wrapper for Linux

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Mon Oct 31 10:37:52 EST 2005

Michael,

In theory the wrappers would work in Mono, but I have never attempted
to build them with it.  The issue about typemaps for the C# bindings
still stands.  Someone will have to step forward who is willing to do
some SWIG and has some knowledge (or is willing to learn) about the
PINVOKE mechanism.  With that regard, the C# bindings are a bit immature.

Is Mono a common installation on most Linux machines yet?  I don't
see any reason why we couldn't add a configure option and a
GNUMakefile to the swig/csharp directory if someone submitted patches
and can get a build setup going.

On windows, the swig bindings build process is still manual for all
languages except Python.  If someone knows how to do compiler version
detection (vc6 vs. vc7.1 and above) and has some ideas on how to
smoothly integrate things with the rest of GDAL's build setup, that'd be great.

Howard