[Gdal-dev] types common to raster/vector

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 31 20:44:56 EST 2005

On 10/31/05, Ray Gardener <rayg at daylongraphics.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if the following OGR types:
>
>    OGRSpatialReference
>    OGR_SRSNode
>    OGRCoordinateTransformation
>    OGREnvelope
>    OGRRawPoint
>
> would be better placed in their own lib/namespace, since they are often
> used in raster routines when doing georeferencing (or put another way,
> there's nothing particularly vector-specific about coordinate
> transforms). The OGR area could then be more pertaining specifically to
> shapefile specifics, and it would let raster-only projects more easily
> declude OGR.
>
> e.g., a C++ decl might be:
>
>    namespace spatial
>    {
>      class coordsys             { ... };
>      class coordsys_node        { ... };
>      class coordinate_transform { ... };
>      class envelope             { ... };
>      class point                { ... };
>    }
>
> For backwards compatiblity there could be:
>
>    typedef spatial::coordsys              OGRSpatialReference;
>    typedef spatial::coordsys_node         OGR_SRSNode;
>    typedef spatial::coordinate_transform  OGRCoordinateTransformation;
>    typedef spatial::envelope              OGREnvelope;
>    typedef spatial::point                 OGRRawPoint;

Ray,

I would go a little further to say that OGRSpatialReference
(and associated stuff) ought to have been factored into it's own
low level library on which separate GDAL and OGR libraries
could depend.

However, I am not planning on any wholesale changes in
this regard now.

I don't think that a distinct namespace would really help
anyone very much though, unless I am missing something.