[Gdal-dev] Merging really large images to one huge

Ken Boss Ken.Boss at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Sep 2 12:15:24 EDT 2005

>>> "Morten Nielsen" <mn at blominfo.dk> 9/2/2005 10:24:59 AM >>>
>I think the problem here is that gdal_merge.py reads the entirety of
each
>input file into memory before writing it to the output file.  Frank has

>recently added a -createonly switch to gdal_merge that will simply
>initialize the output file, allowing you to then employ the gdalwarp
>utility to mosaic your inputs into that output file.  See
>http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2005-August/006221.html.

So... what you're saying is that if I just have small input files, it
will work? I could just split them up in smaller pieces and merge these
together?

Best regards
/Morten

Morten--

I would expect that approach to work.  As long as your input files can fit one-at-a-time into system RAM, you wouldn't need to bother with the -createonly switch and gdalwarp, you should be able to just use gdal_merge.py as you had originally intended.

Cheers,

--Ken