[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate with onearth png

wsacul wsacul at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:22:37 EDT 2005

> > gdal_translate has worked fine for me with making image geotiffs, but
> > now that I want to make an elevation geotiff what do I need to do?  Is
> > there a different tool I should be using?
>
> I see the resulting PNG is 16bit and should translate into a 16bit
> GeoTIFF just fine.  Without knowing more about how you want to
> use it downstream, I think you should be fine.
>
> Best regards,
> --

I guess I need to read up on the geotiff format- I'm assuming that a
satellite visual spectrum image turned into a geotiff and elevation
data turned into a geotiff were quite different and would require
different command line options in gdal_translate- perhaps they are not
and I just need to make sure I use them correctly downstream.  I'm
using osgdem, so for that instance I would specify the geotiff with -d
rather than -t.

Thanks,

lucasw