[Gdal-dev] Linking problem

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 8 14:11:57 EDT 2005

Just had an interesting linking problem.  This is with the CVS GDAL,
plus using separate libshp, libproj, and libgeotiff in our app as
well (not using the gdal interface for those cases).

Using libgeotiff-1.1.5, libshp-1.0.1, libproj.0.4.2.

"-lgdal" was earlier than the other libraries on the link line.

GDAL's configure decided to use its internal geotiff library because
it failed to find TIFFGetTagListCount in the TIFF library
(libtiff-3.5.7 is on this system).

So... To make a long story short Xastir was using the header files
for the older libtiff and libgeotiff but linking in the library code
from GDAL's internal libraries instead.

This caused all of the GTIFProj4FromLatLong() calls in our code to
fail.

Best way to fix this?  Temporarily we moved "-lgdal" to the end of
our link line.  This solved the problem, but of course could cause
others.