[Gdal-dev] OGRGeometry::Distance

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Mon Sep 19 02:16:12 EDT 2005

Frank Warmerdam kirjoitti:

>On 9/18/05, Matthew Perry <perrygeo at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>   So as I was going through the methods of the Geometry class, I noticed
>>that there were a bunch of them (GetPointCount, GetX, GetY, GetZ, SetPoint,
>>AddPoint, more?) that aren't documented in the official OGRGeometry docs.
>>Are the python bindings that significantly different than the C++ methods?
>>If so, It might be worth considering using a tool like epydoc to create
>>GDAL/OGR documentation specifically for python. I'd be willing to head this
>>up if there were significant interest in doing so.
>>

>Matt,
>
>The Python (and other swig bindings) use the "simplified" C API
>for accessing geometry.  The downside to this is it doesn't match the
>C++ API well and isn't really properly documented.  It would nice
>to have some generic docs that would explain this for all the swig
>interfaces to OGR Geometries.

It might be confusing to document the "intermediate" C/C++ API, which is
between GDAL C++ and the swig-based language bindings, if that's what
you mean. I mean from the users' point of view. However, all the
swig-based language interfaces should be as similar as possible (or at
least implement the common base), but I'm not sure if their docs can be
based on some common meta information. Matthew, I wrote initial docs for
the swig/Perl bindings, they at least list all existing methods, I don't
know if they are on the cvs yet. Frank, thinking about this, I may want
a cvs commit rights to update and maintain these docs.

Frank mentioned somewhere that the files in cvs can be seen on the web
but I didn't find a link on gdal.maptools.org?

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Kartografia ja Geoinformatiikka / Cartography and Geoinformatics