[Gdal-dev] Re: GetGeometryRef in scripts

Charlie Savage cfis at interserv.com
Wed Sep 21 02:19:26 EDT 2005

> I see that r1.35 of ogr.i on 8/22 I checked in a change which added
> %newobject to both Layer.GetFeature and Layer.GetNextFeature.  Recall
> that %newobject tells the script that it owns the returned pointer and
> will call the destructor (which is OGR_F_Destroy()).

Yes, this is correct.  These features are new and thus must be owned by
the dynamic language.

> Could this be the source of the original angst?  It probably isn't
> because chained calls still wont work because you'll end up with a
> dangling reference.  However, it probably does fix my percieved gc
> problem between layer and feature.

Not quite sure what you mean - but you could be running into the
FeatureDefn ref count issue.  That causes all sorts of strange errors
when it happens.

> Unless Charlie can tell me otherwise, I don't think there is a potential
> gc problem between Datasource and Layer anymore...This is of course dependent on the assumption
> that the datasource reference is maintained during the lifetime of the
> layer.

Yes, agreed.

> I think it would be useful for my sanity if you could walk through ogr.i
> and look at the various methods which create or consume pointers.  Any
> function which returns a pointer owned by the script needs to have
> %newobject.  Any function which assumes ownership of a pointer needs to
> have a DISOWN typemap.  I see that Layer has things like SetFeature and
> CreateFeature, I suspect they should be using DISOWN, but hey what do I
> know.

I've gone through the OGR api fairly closely (i.e., traced each method
with a debugger) and think what we have now is correct.  By that, I mean
we have %newobject where we should, we have %disown where we should, and
we have identified methods that return child objects that the dynamic
language must let go off before their parents are freed.  However, it
would be a good idea for someone to double check.

As far as setfeature and createfeature, they both clone the features
that they work on.  So no, they should not use disown.

Charlie