[Gdal-dev] large files in gdal

Chris Padwick cpadwick at digitalglobe.com
Wed Sep 21 11:28:00 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to process some large files with GDAL and running into
problems.  When I process them with gdalinfo I get the error "filename"
is not recognized as a supported file format.  The files are in ENVI
format, readable by ENVI, and gdalinfo shows the ENVI driver present
when I run gdalinfo -formats.

I've tried a few times with different file sizes and found that it works
if the file size is 350 MB, but fails at larger sizes like 8GB.  I
haven't tried anything in between yet.  I thought that the limit was
based on the file system as discussed here:
http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal_building.html#largefiles

So I was expecting 16 GB to be the limit.  I'm running Fedora linux
2.4.21-20.ELsmp.  I've also tried it under SGI and found the same
problem.  Is there an inherent limit on the ENVI driver?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris