[Gdal-dev] proj.dll location?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 4 10:40:06 EDT 2006

Richard Matsunaga wrote:
> I am trying to use OCTNewCoordinateTransformation() but GDAL can't find
> the proj.dll. I am using my own build of GDAL and tried putting the
> proj.dll in the same folder as the GDAL dll, but that didn't work.
>
> If I point to the FWTools GDAL dll, then the coordinate transformation
> works fine.
>
> Where is GDAL expecting the proj.dll to be?

Richard,

OGR uses the default search rules to find proj.dll unless you define the
PROJSO environment variable.  If that is defined, then it is name of the
PROJ DLL to load (include an absolute path to find it anywhere).

I think if PROJ.DLL is in your PATH that should normally be sufficient.

Note, FWTools links directly against PROJ.DLL so uses normal startup rules
to find the DLL while the default GDAL build loads the DLL dynamically the
first time it is needed.