[Gdal-dev] CVS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Apr 6 11:38:30 EDT 2006

Howard Butler wrote:
> Some reasons for keeping them in CVS:
>
> 1)  GDAL has history of keeping generated code in the CVS tree.  The
> old-style Python wrappers, which are generated from swig 1.1, pretty
> much *have* to be pushed into the tree because Frank is the only person
> I know of with swig 1.1 installed anywhere.
>
> 2) SWIG is in severe flux right now.  1.3.28 was a *major* release,
> complete with incompatibilities, bugs, and API changes.  The distros all
> vary in the swig that they provide, and this can have a great impact on
> what people see when they generate bindings themselves. 1.3.29 came
> quickly (and still has some broken Python things).
>
> 3) Windows
>
> Some reasons for dropping them from CVS:
>
> On the flip side, I agree that having the generated bindings in CVS is a
> pain.  They almost always seem to generate CVS conflicts and sync'ing
> between the various flavors is not always consistent.  I almost always
> generate my own bindings with the swig I have installed when doing any
> development.  I agree that a 'make dist' target should be generating
> *all* of the bindings for each language flavor anyway, regardless of
> whether or not we keep the bindings actually stored in CVS.

Howard, Ari,

At least for now it still seems quite tricky to produce working swig
wrappers for the next gen stuff, so I would prefer that they live in
CVS.  I'm especially concerned with how we can make sure generated wrappers
actually work for all the languages before a release.  One approach is for
me to use whatever is in CVS.  The files could lag a bit, but would
presumably be in a working state.

Do either of you feel confident enough in your own swig version to generate
all the bindings and commit them shortly before a release?