[Gdal-dev] pluggins

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 19 18:36:11 EDT 2006

CARLOS GARCIA wrote:
> Dear Gdal-dev
>
> Recently I read about the ogr pluggins for ArcSDE and Oracle spatial format.
> My question is about how can I compile this pluggins (I thing that I can do
> that (make the dll's)) and once compiled how can I use?

Carlos,

What have you tried so far?  What problems did you encounter?  What platform
are you on?

If you have built GDAL/OGR from source before, then adding SDE and Oracle
support requires editing the nmake.opt and uncommenting the relativent
items, adjusting paths and so forth.

This approach is to build-in the support.   If you want to build SDE and
Oracle support as plugins, the process is substantially more involved.
Howard Butler has already addressed this issue in his buildkit, so you might
want to look at that.  Otherwise you might need to fiddle around a bunch.

I think the Oracle driver has a plugin.bat that you can edit and use to
build it.  The SDE driver has a "ogr_SDE.dll" target you can use to build
it.  With the nmakefile you would still need to have fixedup the nmake.opt
appropriately.

Basically plugin building is not standardized, so it tends to be a hassle.