[Gdal-dev] OSGeo Sponsorship Program

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 25 23:49:38 EDT 2006

Folks,

As part of the establishment of OSGeo a fundraising committee is being
launched.  This may be of particular interest to the GDAL/OGR community
because it is my hope that the fundraising committee will establish a
sponsorship program that includes the ability for sponsors to direct
a portion of their sponsorship funding to support particular foundation
projects.

It is my hope that the GDAL/OGR community, in particular some of the
substantial organizations depending on GDAL/OGR, will see this as a desirable
way to provide ongoing support for the maintenance and improvement of
GDAL/OGR.  If successful it is my hope to use this project specific
funding to contract an individual dedicated to GDAL/OGR maintenance, bug
fixing and support.   This would of course be subject to the GDAL/OGR
Project Management Committee.

I am writing now mainly in the hopes that folks out there who see themselves
as potential sponsors will participate in the fundraising committee so as
to ensure that the sponsorship program is tailored in a way that will be
attractive to sponsors.  So that it will meet your organizatios goals, and
also so that it will be succesful, bring in broader sponsorship support.

As with most committees, those not prepared to commit a substantial amount
of time to participate can still join the mailing list, review the wiki and
web pages, join IRC meetings and provide feedback.  At a later date I also
anticipate coming back to the broader community to generate leads for
potential sponsors.

The web page for the committee is at:

   https://fundraising.osgeo.org/

The Wiki page (with meetings, working docs, etc) is at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Fundraising

The mailing list is at: