[Gdal-dev] Building on Windows

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Aug 1 15:07:16 EDT 2006

Matt Hanson wrote:
> I don't understand why these functions aren't
> defined in the MSVC compilers but whatever.

The reason is quite simple.
1. this is not a MSVC but MSVC++ compiler

2. Microsoft does not claim its Visual C++ is a C compiler, but it's a
C++ compiler as the name says. See archive of MSDN Forums for more
details:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?forumgroupid=8&siteid=1

3. Functions like vsnprintf, vsprintf and others from the v...printf
family belongs to C99 Standard of C Language but Microsoft says
explicitly (see MSDN Forums) that Visual C++ *does not* support C99
Standard.

Best regards
--
Mateusz Loskot