[Gdal-dev] tiling/conversion

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 18 22:46:01 EDT 2006

Kevin Flanders wrote:
> Can I use gdal to create tiles from a large tiff image and convert to
> ecw at the same time?

Kevin,

Yes, you could have gdal_translate pull a subarea out of a source file,
and write it to an ECW all in one command.

> How do I create the individual tiles?

With gdal_translate you would need to invoke the command once for each
tile you want to produce.  Not something you want to do by hand for any
number of files!

 > Can I use
> translate, and pass a tileindex shapefile to support the clipping
> bounding boxes to create the individual tiles....and convert on the fly?

The gdal_translate command doesn't know how to use a tileindex.  But a
script could be written to use a tileindex to cut up a big image into tiles.
That is assuming the polygons in the tileindex are simple rectangles.

Basically, currently breaking images into tiles either involves some sort
of script or other.