[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate problem converting to netcdf

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 21 11:24:08 EDT 2006

Florian Wobbe wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've got problems converting to netcdf with GDAL 1.2.6.0, released
> 2005/03/13. The package gdal-bin (1.2.6-1) was installed from the
> stable debian distibution and depends on netcdfg3 (3.5.0-7.1).
>
> gdal_translate complains about invalid cdfid:
>
>  gdal_translate -b 1 -ot Int16 -of GMT test.pix test.grd
>  Input file size is 1963, 1188
>  netcdf: 3 is not a valid cdfid
>
> Whereas GDAL 1.3.2.0, FWTools 1.0.5, released 2006/07/06 functions
> without any problems:

Florian,

It would appear the problems in the GDAL NetCDF driver were corrected.
Denis Nadeau did quite a bit of work to improve this driver in the
last six months.  So you will likely need at least GDAL 1.3.2 (or perhaps
GDAL CVS) if you don't want to use FWTools for some reason.

Note that we don't fix bugs in old versions of the code.