[Gdal-dev] ECW compression - Extremely slow Linux performance - POSSIBLE HACKISH SOLUTION

Andrew Larcombe andrew at andrewlarcombe.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 12:53:53 EDT 2006

Initial testing appears to show that running ECW conversion from
gdal_translate in FWTools under the windows non-emulator, WINE, is
6xfaster than running it natively. I'm now getting translation times of
around 10 seconds, rather than 60 seconds on my laptop. I can only
assume wine's multithreading is less crippled than that provided by
ERMapper?

Either way, it's a hack, but it appears to work. Do I win a prize? ;)

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Larcombe