[Gdal-dev] gdalwarp black edges

Zenon Panoussis oracle at provocation.net
Mon Aug 21 22:10:23 EDT 2006

Hello all

>From http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2004-October/004285.html

>> 3) My intent is to build a tileindex of the output files and serve
>> them up using mapserver. I'm worried about the black "collar" that
>> I'm left with around the images after I've reprojected them...

> Hmm, this will indeed be a problem.  MapServer doesn't mind overlapping
> images, but it is just going to draw them in some arbitrary order and the
> black stuff will get written over valid imagery in some cases.  Normally
> I would suggest using the MapServer OFFSITE keyword to indicate that the
> black should be ignored (treated as transparent)...

I'm facing this now and I need OFFSITE for another colour. Has any
solution to it turned up in the meanhile? Is there some way to tell
gdalwarp to use a specific colour for nodata instead of black?
I read the -dstnodata man part but I'm not sure if that's what
I need and I don't know how to express "value [value...]" to make
it "white".