[Gdal-dev] --mempreload, and virtualizing of s57/sdts/bsb

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 23 15:22:52 EDT 2006

Folks,

At the request of a client, I have modified the s57, sdts and BSB drivers
to go through the VSI virtual API (VSI*L).  This means that the file
sets could come from alternate places, mostly notably 'in memory'.

I also add a '--mempreload <dir>' option for all programs using the
standard command argument processor (like ogrinfo and gdalinfo).  This
provides an easy way to preload files into memory for testing VSI*L access.
It will load all file in the named directory into RAM and assign them virtual
names under /vsimem/.

So the following would preload all files in the current directory (".") into
RAM and they would be then accessable with /vsimem/ names.

eg.
   ogrinfo -ro  --mempreload . /vsimem/1900CATD.DDF