[Gdal-dev] GDAL and Solaris 10/sparc

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 24 11:17:17 EDT 2006

Shaun Kolomeitz wrote:
> After months of searching, hacking and many hundreds of compile attempts I am still unable to successfully get GDAL to compile on a SPARC/Solaris 10 environment. No amount of searching lists and getting obscure possible fixes has worked.
> My original aim was to get GDAL with ECW compiled and going, but for now I'd even settle for just Geotiff, HFA and JPEG. I'll just have to use WindoZe to do any other conversions.
> Would someone mind sending me some settings from their working GDAL sparc/Solaris X configurations ?
> Stuff like the system wide "crle", PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings for compilation and the versions of GCC/etc that actually work.
> Any other suggestions that might help me get this going would be most welcome.

Shaun,

Perhaps it would be best to try and meet in IRC (#gdal on irc.freenode.net)
to try and debug your build problems on Solaris.  Alternatively, if you can
provide temporary ssh access to me, I could likely build it.

I don't think there should be any great difficulty in building on Solaris
as long as reasonably functional tool chain is available.  I would hesitate
to take on building the ECW libraries there though.  I'm sure it is possible,
but perhaps not easy.