[Gdal-dev] building gdal for OpenZaurus

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 24 15:53:37 EDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Frank,
>
> There is nothing "modern" in my proposal.
 > This is a Standard ANSI C++, nothing else.

Mateusz,

Note, I'm partly mocking my own "antiqueness". To me 1996 ANSI Standard
C++ is modern. :-)

> This is from 1996, so it's nothing modern, the I can't see any problems
> on clients side, because I believe they build C++ code with compilers
> newer than pre-C++, from before 1996.
>
> So, why not to compile CPL with C compiler, that would be safer and more
> portable, than rely on non-standard C++.

Well, one thing we would need to keep in mind if we made a big move
to using C++ include files is that C applications *and* C++ code
needs to include the C include files like gdal.h, ogr_api.h, and so
forth, and currently they share at lot of include files with the C++
side (notably cpl_port.h).  So we would need to approach this casefully.
Perhaps cpl_port.h would include distinct include files depending on
whether C++ compilation is being used.

I'm not adverse to contemplating such a change, but I think it deserves
an RFC setting out the changes, issues and so forth that will apply.  And
of course it would require someone to do the work, and it isn't likely to
be me.