[Gdal-dev] Re: NetCDF.. the world turned upside-down

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 28 14:13:48 EDT 2006

Joaquim Luis wrote:
> Hi,
> I have already reported this misbehavior  of the netCDF driver,  but
> I'll repeated again.
> All datasets are reported to have a 512 x 512 size.
>
> Joaquim Luis
>
> C:\temp>gdalinfo vs_new.nc
> Driver: netCDF/Network Common Data Format
> Size is 512, 512
> Coordinate System is `'
> Metadata:
>  NC_GLOBAL#Conventions=CF-1.0
> Subdatasets:
>  SUBDATASET_1_NAME=NETCDF:"vs_new.nc":z
>  SUBDATASET_1_DESC=[1681x1801] z (32-bit floating-point)
> Corner Coordinates:
> Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
> Lower Left  (    0.0,  512.0)
> Upper Right (  512.0,    0.0)
> Lower Right (  512.0,  512.0)
> Center      (  256.0,  256.0)

Joaquim,

This is because the NetCDF driver represents each array object
in the .nc file as a subdataset.  So the "main" file is just a dummy
used to list the subdataset names.

However, I think I asked Denis Nadeau to look into treating single-array
files at the "root" level to avoid this confusion.  I'm not sure if that
was done.  If so, you could update to GDAL CVS, otherwise we need to wait
for Denis.

In the meaintime you can access 'NETCDF:"vs_new.nc":z' as the dataset name.