[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr Default Output SRS

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sat Dec 9 14:15:43 EST 2006

Hi Frank, thanks for responding,

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> There are some "sensitivities" in how ogr2ogr identifies which SRID to use
> in postgis.  If it doesn't find a match then it creates a new SRID at the
> "top" of the table, which I suspect did for the 32767 case.
>
> It may be that the spatial_ref_sys tables in your different versions of
> postgis are slightly different in the formatting of the WKT entries and
> this is in one SRID 4326 gets used and in the other it doesn't.

But what can a user actually do about this, whose "fault" is it if
'ogr2ogr' and PostGIS don't place together nicely, and, which I
consider even more important, which route to take to solve this issue ?

Apparently PostGIS started shipping newer versions of the
spatial_ref_sys table with 1.1.6 and 'ogr2ogr' somehow doesn't 'agree'
with the contents of this table.
I just ran a test with PostGIS-1.2.0 - same effect as with 1.1.6, still
using the respective spatial_ref_sys that comes with the very PostGIS
release. I then pushed the contents of the spatial_ref_sys table from
PostGIS-1.1.5 into the DB, still running PostGIS-1.2.0, and everything
is fine. So, is this sort of a bug in 'ogr2ogr' that shows some
incapability to handle newer EPSG declarations or is this to be
considered as a misfeature in the recent EPSG files that breaks
'ogr2ogr' ?

Cheerio,
	Martin.