[Gdal-dev] accessing MODIS L1B geolocation data with gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 20 07:06:56 EST 2006

Huw Lynch wrote:

> Sorry if this question has been asked before; I've searched but can't
> find a full explaination.
>
> I am trying to access geolocation information in MODIS L1B data files. I
> was hoping that the Latitude and Longitude data sets would be visible
> via gdalinfo however when I run this those 2 datasets appear to be
> skipped over.
>
> Here's a gdalinfo output from an example modis data file;

Huw,

Try a gdalinfo on one of the subdatasets.  If things are setup properly,
and you have a very recent build of GDAL you should see something about
geolocation data with subdataset pointers to the lat and long arrays.

You might need to add "-mdd geolocation" to the gdalinfo commandline, and
might need to use the most recent FWTools release if you are working with
GDAL 1.3.2.