[Gdal-dev] OGR Date Support

Chapman, Martin MChapman at sanz.com
Wed Feb 15 12:08:06 EST 2006

Very nice.  Thanks Frank!

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: gdal-dev-bounces at lists.maptools.org
[mailto:gdal-dev-bounces at lists.maptools.org] On Behalf Of Frank
Warmerdam
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:33 PM
To: gdal
Subject: [Gdal-dev] OGR Date Support

Folks,

I have committed preliminary date support for OGR.  This includes a new
core date type (OFTDate), and would be more accurately called "date
time"
support.

The OGRField union now includes another struct option that looks like:

     struct {
         GInt16  Year;
         GByte   Month;
         GByte   Day;
         GByte   Hour;
         GByte   Minute;
         GByte   Second;
         GByte   TZFlag; /* 0=unknown, 1=localtime(ambiguous),
                            100=GMT, 104=GMT+1, 80=GMT-5, etc */
     } Date;

The TZFlag is a funky mechanism to incorporate timezones by offset from
GMT (in 15 minute increments).  But if you just leave TZFlag 0 the
timezone
is unknown which I suspect will often be the case.

Note there is no sub-second precision.  My hope is that this isn't too
important in the OGR context.

So far only the PostgreSQL and Shapefile (dbf) drivers have been
updated with date support.  I plan to extend it to MySQL this week.
Over time it will be added in a few more drivers with native date types.

Let me know if anyone runs into problems with the builds that might
be related.

------
warmerdam at pobox.com