[Gdal-dev] multipage geotiff

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 22 18:42:10 EST 2006

Stephane Routelous wrote:
> Well, after checking the code, it is not what I want to do.
> Just because I asked the wrong question...
> I don't want to generate overviews, I want to have sub images inside a
> TIF file with different information.
> Is that possible without changing the GDAL code ?
> I will have an image with
> 1024x1024
> 512x512
> 256x256
> 128x128
> 64x64
> 32x32
> 16x16
> 8x8
> 4x4
> 2x2
> 1x1
> 1x1
> 1x1
> 1x1
> 1x1
> 1x1
> 1x1
> 1x1
> 1x1
> 1x1
> 1x1
>
> But where the level n-1 is NOT a resampling of the level n

Stephane,

GDAL has no support currently for preparing multi-page images where
the different pages are not necessarily related.  However, from
what you want to do it might be possible to generate overviews with
the normal mechanism.  Then fetch back the overview GDALRasterBand
handles, and write whatever image it is you want in them manually.

The smaller images will be marked as reduced resolution images in
the TIFF file though.

If you really need fine control, it might be better to go right to the
libtiff API.