[Gdal-dev] Support of ISO8859-6 in ogr2ogr

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Feb 24 19:27:07 EST 2006

Stefan Biegger wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a shapefile in ISO8859-6 (arabic character set) and want to convert
> it to a MapInfo TAB file.  How could I do this with ogr2ogr? Does ogr2ogr
> support this kind of character set currently?

Stefan,

OGR does not currently know anything about character sets.  It might
be possible to translate the file to mid/mif and then hand edit the
mid/mif files to set the character set properly.

I have been contemplating adding character set awareness to OGR.  Possibly
by treating OFTString fields as UTF-8 instead of ASCII as they are now.
However, that is not going to happen soon enough to help you.