[Gdal-dev] error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.l

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 5 11:24:12 EST 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I'm no guru on use of ld.so.conf, but don't you need
> to run ld.config as root or something?   I normally
> just add /usr/local/lib to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Edit the "/etc/ld.so.conf" file, add the line "/usr/local/lib" to
it, then run "ldconfig" as root.  This will cause the
"/etc/ld.so.cache" file to be updated to include the new directory.
Don't bother looking at that cache file as it's not human-readable.

Some systems have a directory "/etc/ld.so.conf.d/" instead.  In this
case you create a file in that directory called "local.conf" which
contains the single line "/usr/local/lib", then run "ldconfig -v".

After doing either of the above steps, the dynamic loader will be
able to find libraries in /usr/local/lib.

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable method works on most systems too, but
then you have to set it for each user in their shell startup files.
Changing the ld.so.conf file works for all users with just the one
change.