[Gdal-dev] E00 support?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 10:25:06 EST 2006

On 1/11/06, Craig Miller <craig.miller at spatialminds.com> wrote:
> I did a bit of googling, and only came across very old references to
> GDAL/OGR and E00.  Has anyone cobbled together any E00 support in OGR, or
> looked into what's involved?  It would be useful to have it natively
> supported in OGR for my current project.

Craig,

The AVC driver in OGR already uses the avce00 libraries
that support binary coverages and e00 files.  But the driver
is written in such a way that it only works for binary grids.

The correct way to incorporate e00 support in OGR would be
to update the AVC driver to support e00 files as well.  The main
challenge in accomplishing this relates to the fact that E00 files
need to be linearly scanned while the driver is built assuming you
can seek to particular features, as is possible with the binary
coverages.

I believe Andrey way hoping to implement E00 support but that
this got pushed onto the backburner.   I have no plans to do it
myself.