[Gdal-dev] OCI-22165 index out-of-range appending PGDB -> Oracle Spatial

Dave Fuhry dfuhry at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 23:40:28 EST 2006

Frank,

ogr2ogr -f OCI OCI:taxmap/taxmap1 LB011.mdb StreetCenterline -lco
MULTI_LOAD=YES -lco INDEX=OFF
succeeds where
C:\PGDB-12202005>ogr2ogr -f OCI OCI:taxmap/taxmap1 LB011.mdb StreetCenterline -l
co MULTI_LOAD=NO -lco INDEX=OFF
fails.

   I located the offending geometry.  I'm not sure how to return the
exact element count of an extended VARRAY but its
SDO_UTIL.GETNUMVERTICES(ORA_GEOMETRY) is 349525.333.  Since I'm
its max.  I don't have Arc* handy to determine the number of vertices
it really has, although I could check on this if you'd like.  Its
SHAPE_Length is 124806671.920244 which is way out of whack with the
rest of the features in this state plane coordinate system, so I'm
going to consider it bogus.

   It looks like BoundCreateFeature() truncates oversized arrays
whereas UnboundCreateFeature() causes them to throw an OCI-22165
exception.  I can't think of any way to improve OGR in this situation
since any such geometry is going to be way out of the norm.  Even a
check on (nElemInfoCount > 1048575) could get stale if Oracle decides
to up the size of those VARRAYS someday.  I'll just leave this
information in your hands.

   Thanks for your help.  Support for ESRI Personal Geodatabase export
in particular is saving us a lot of time and runaround.  If SDE BLOB
data is stored similarly, I would be excited to have that exportable
via ODBC someday.

-Dave Fuhry